Friday 6 January 2012

# 6 Not working from home

Whilst University is on its Christmas break, not having a studio (ie working from home) has presented its own set of frustrations. It's a very lonely way of life of that there can be no doubt. There's only so much Radio 4 I can stand and I've pretty much run out of one sided conversations I can have with three small bantam hens, amiable though they are.

Source: Coffee Aroma @ Flickr
I, like many of my Lincoln comrades, use our local coffee house Coffee Aroma as a place of work. Free Wifi means it can look like an internet cafe on certain days.

I have written dissertations, blog updates, personal emails, completed business admin and finalised financial spreadsheets whilst holed up there with an endless supply of high-end coffee and the sweet sounds of Spotify. The day is punctuated only by the occasional gaze out of the window at passing office workers on their break and friends popping in for a cappuccino. Ahhhh this is the life. There's just something about the sweet smell of freshly ground coffee that instills in me the desire to work. Make of that what you will.

This week I took a sewing project in. It was my first post New Year's Eve visit having been in hibernation at home for three days due to a dose of the dreaded Christmas lurgy and I just had to get out of the house despite being behind in a number of projects. I thought it perhaps an odd thing to do so I Twittered my concerns and it turns out seamstress based work is a very mobile art form. Knitting in the pub, cross stitching on the bus and now dress sewing in Coffee Aroma. Where will it end?  Well I did do some millinery designs for Uni in the Wig and Mitre over a couple of pints of Black Sheep. But that's a whole other story.

How mobile is your art? I need to know......

Source: richardhamm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment