Sunday 22 January 2012

# 22 Spring clean

About this time of the year the annual spring clean begins. I try to do mine early because I have another one to tackle in the garden as well.

A change in living circumstances means there's one less room in the house now in which to hide all my crap and pretend it doesn't exist. So now I have to deal with it as well as all the dust and cobwebs that have gathered over the winter season of semi-hibernation.

Most of what I need to get rid of is the remnants from my costuming days, lots of Victorian style dresses I just don't want any more, hats, accessories. You name it, I've probably got it. But it has to go. I don't do costume anymore as a general rule and it's surplus to requirements and taking up room.

Clearing out is one thing, selling stuff is another. January is a great time for the sales, but not if you're trying to flog non-essentials on ebay so I may have to wait until after everyone has had their January paychecks before I start tempting them with goodies. Which means not shifting the clutter.

But spring cleans are mental as well as physical. I'm looking forward to 2012 being a clean slate. 2011 was pretty complicated what with one thing and another. And I'm hoping that for me, this year is going to be a turning point. I am expectant of a gloriously hot summer both weather wise and metaphorically.

Sometimes of course you have to leave clutter behind when you 'move on'. So get rid of all the things that gives you bad memories or hold you back and seize the day. It's time. You know it.

It's nearly spring after all and when the sun comes back we're all going to feel much happier again.

No comments:

Post a Comment