Saturday 3 March 2012

# 62 Self indulgence

I had an interesting chat with a friend the other day.

We had both looked at the sacrifices we had made over the years for other people and what we'd got in return. Now, I know you shouldn't go out purposefully looking for return favours every time you do something for someone else, but it occurred to us that we had spent most of our adult lives pleasing other people. Family, friends, partners, society in general, sticking to the rules and being a 'model citizen'.

To be honest with you I'm getting pretty sick of playing by the rules. Especially as I've discovered they are only there to be broken.

And it appears we have reached the same conclusion at the same time, quite independently - that it's high time we started being a little more selfish, self congratulatory and self rewarding. We realised that if we don't do it, no one else is going to.

I for one don't want to look back in 10 years and wonder what I did that really made me happy. Yes there are things that are very satisfying about my life and I'm not about to pretend that I haven't lead a very productive and useful life to date, but sometimes you just need a break to get what YOU want and to immerse yourself just occasionally in complete and total self indulgent escapism.

So we've both made a decision. We're going to take what we want, have fun and just bloody well enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment